questions and answers

← Back

How old must you be in Victoria to move out?, without parental permission, and to rent a house?.


The legal requirement for young people to leave home is 17 years old. Sometimes young people leave home under 17 if there are significant risk issues occurring, like child abuse and/or exposure to family violence. In these cases it is important that a trusted adult, like somebody at school, supports the young person to get all the support they need. In such circumstances, the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services also usually gets involved to assess the safety of the young person and make appropriate referrals. It is legally possible for 17 year olds to rent a property.

It is not unusual for young people to experience family conflict in their relationships or big arguments with their parents or step-parents. If you are asking about when and how to move out, things have been pretty tough recently. It is always important to try and work things out in family relationships and to do so early if you can. Regardless of whether you move our or not, I would strongly encourage you to try and sort of your relationship with family, if that is your reason for wanting to move out.

There are many services around that can assist young people to have their voices heard if there are struggles with parents.

These great services below that provide lots of information and offer confidential telephone support. They have very friendly people on the end of the phone who would love to talk to you about what’s happening for you. Many of these services also have chat support services.

We also provide counselling for children, young people and families in our centres in Melbourne and regional Victoria. These include Ballarat, Boronia, Cranbourne, Greensborough, Kew, Sunshine, Shepparton and Traralgon. You can find out more about our counselling service on the connectEDspace website here.

This resource is tagged with:
conflict with parents family identity